Sunday, October 05, 2008

100? YES! 100!


IMG_0076


You read it right - I completed the MS150! Wahoo!! If you didn't read my previous post, let me tell you this is a HUGE accomplishment for me. After Andrew "challenged" me to the ride, I realized I'm not the type to take on this sort of challenge because I automatically think I'm not capable. Physically, this isn't my style. BUT this was the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. I'm actually proud of myself!

MS_Bike_Weekend_023


The ride is a fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis and Andrew and I raised money to donate to the National MS Society. The course has four options for riders the first day (10, 30, 70, and 100-miles) and two options the second day (30 and 70-miles). I decided to only do 70 the first day but surprised myself and went back on Sunday to do the 30-mile route to complete 100-miles for the weekend! Andrew did all 100 the first day and then made his own course the second day doing 50-miles.

MS_Bike_Weekend_047


MS_Bike_Weekend_043

Andrew and I rode together the first day for 30 miles before he took off on route 4 and I plugged away at route 3. Andrew caught up with our other team mates and rode the rest of the route with them. The people we met were so friendly and encouraging! The routes were BEAUTIFUL and I decided the downhill's were worth every uphill (I reached my fastest speed of 43mph!).

MS_Bike_Weekend_014

MS_Bike_Weekend_057

Also, we had the BEST fan club! My brother and dad brought Elizabeth and Alexander out in the hills to cheer us on!! (I think they were actually the best two babysitters I've ever had - no lie.) Even my sister and grandma showed up towards the end to hoot and holler at me! It meant soo much to me - thanks guys!

MS_Bike_Weekend_020

Funny story from the ride - I missed my last turn and went over a mile out of my way... I was riding with a new friend of mine who insisted we were to go straight instead of turn into town. I went along with her until I thought we should maybe stop and check our maps... Sure enough, we'd missed our turn and had to ride back IN TO the wind. Arghh.

MS_Bike_Weekend_002

Speaking of wind, we rode in what I think were some of the strongest winds I've ever experienced in the hills!! Even going down hill required pedaling into the wind otherwise you'd come to a stand still. Andrew's spokes on his bike are flat to be more aero-dynamic UNLESS the wind comes at you from the side - then it nearly knocks you over!

MS_Bike_Weekend_060

Another funny story - The clock on my bike was a few hours off but I didn't realize this. Towards the end of the ride, I started noticing I was the only rider on the course... At this point in the ride I was so exhausted, I felt sick and figured I was one of the last riders out. I was sure that the trucks were coming to pick me up because the course closed at 5. And I just knew that Andrew had beat me doing 30 more miles than me. I was bummed and beyond disappointed! Even worse, when I finally came to the finish line, there were hardly any spectators and I was certain they'd all gone home already. THEN, my fan club met me and informed me that no, Andrew wasn't even close to finishing, no it was actually only 2:30, and no I wasn't last but rather one of the first from the 70-mile route to finish! It took me at least an hour to grasp what'd actually happened and just be proud of myself!

MS_Bike_Weekend_053

Basically, the ride rocked and we'll for sure be there next year! Want to ride with me in 2009?!

No comments: